Friday, July 16, 2010

Why Talk About Chemistry?

Before I go further in my discussion I want to clarify how I look at modeling an industry. I believe that you need to understand what an industry does in order to model it effectively. In the case of the sulfuric acid plant it is necessary to understand how the acid is synthesized, this allows you to understand how the manufacturing process effects the building in which the process occurs.

In this case it clearly allows you to understand the relationship between the components described on the 1897 Sanborn map. The acid towers are the Glover and the Gay-Lussac towers. The modern plant has no towers shown but since they are essential in the production of the acid they must be on the interior of the building. In fact the end of the building by the burners shows alternating high and low roof elevations, the high ones most likely cover the acid towers.

David

No comments:

Post a Comment