Saturday, September 3, 2011

Progress Slowed

No pictures today but I have added the brake gear to the Slaters wagon. When I was working on the parts I managed to lose one of the brake lock down fixtures so I will need to scratch build a replacement using styrene strips.

I have managed to ruin one of the connecting rods on the McEwan and have written the manufacture to see about a replacement and some construction advise. I attempted to peen over the end of the rivet holding the rods together. Instead of expanding the end of the rivet I caused the entire shaft to expand seizing up the pivot hole. In my efforts to loosen it I tore apart the end of the rod. I should have asked how to do this first!

To aid in construction of the body of the locomotive I have order a temperature controllable soldering iron. The resistance soldering unit works well for attaching a part but I have not had much success with soldering seams, the iron may be the correct tool for that process, we will see when it gets here.

Later David

No comments:

Post a Comment