Sunday, August 28, 2011

Slaters Continued 2




Model building is continuing, this weekends work has been on the 5 plank wagon. I painted the under carriage Polly Scale light freight car red and then washed the exterior wood with a diluted mix of the same color. When dried I painted the iron work with Model Masters raw umber as a rust base, splotched Model Flex rail brown onto the umber, then brushed on hair spray. Each color was allowed to dry between coats. I had never tried the hair spray weathering method so I experimented with the process. I applied Model Flex Milwaukee Road dark gray to the iron work and then used water to lift off the paint. At first I let the paint dry a little to long and it was really difficult to remove, later I found that you needed to let the paint set but not dry completely. It is hard to describe how long to wait you really need to experiment and it may always work out a little differently each time. This closeup of the buffer and wheel assembly shows the result. This seems to work well in 7mm scale not sure how it will work in 3.5mm. I will find out. Later David

No comments:

Post a Comment