Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Slaters Continued, Upson Building Update




The construction of the Slaters model continues. These two views show the current state of the project. I added a lot of wood grain effect to the exterior ends and sides I am not sure if this is how weathered these cars would have become but there use in the coal trade and apparent longevity in service suggest to me that this would be likely.

So far everything has fit well with only a minimum of filing needed to get things to fit well. One point that took a bit of figuring was adding the solebars, they needed to fit flush with the floor deck side, they do not touch the center frame cross bearers (gap is about 1/16")

The next step will be painting, as can be seen the iron work on the ends and the solebars is not factory finished, since this is a in service car I will proceed to paint the metal parts dark rust and then add black overtones.

I really like the size of the model, it feels good in your hand.




I have been working on the Upson building since last summer when I discovered the prototype in northern Wisconsin. Here are a couple of views both prototype and model. It has been a long project. Fortunately I am now able to work on something for an extended period and not loose interest, I seems when I was young I needed to get the whole thing done in a week or it would never be completed. This model is in 3.5mm scale.

Tomorrow, David


No comments:

Post a Comment