Sunday, March 10, 2013

Engine Facilities

Now that I have the engine underway I needed to build some support structures to go with it.



This engine house is based upon C&NW prototype practices.  I used information from the book "Locomotive Facilities C&NW and CStPM&O" by A. Joseph Follmar.  The model is constructed from basswood b&b siding, the windows are modified Grandt castings.  The interior is lined with brick between the studs as was the prototype practice.  Doors are built up from styrene.  Now that I have a place for the engine to be protected from the elements I needed a way to load the tender with coal.



This coal loader is patterned after the DSS&A loader at Michigamme Michigan.  Plans and a photo were presented in "The Soo" Fall 2011 issue (Vol 35, No 4).  I need to find the right materials to build the buckets and of course it needs to be heavily weathered with coal dust.  Little did I realize 51 years ago when I took apart a watch and saved the parts that they would find there way to this model!



No comments:

Post a Comment