Sunday, March 10, 2013

Painting of the American

Here is the model after the first painting and weathering attempt.  I was not satisfied with the effect as it was quite a bit more aged than I had intended.  This would be great for a 1920's lumbering operation but not for what I have in mind for a late 1890's engine.

I used some Testors stripper to remove the paint and took another shot at it.  I brush painted Polly Scale Engine black.  Two lightly thinned coats of black followed by two coats of Future floor wax.  This is how it looks at this point.  I had it down at the club yesterday and put in four hours of break in time on it.  It ran okay at moderate speed but is a little sluggish at slow speed, maybe I will need to replace the motor with a more efficient one. 


As you can see I have not lettered the engine.  I have no idea of what to name my railroad.  I intend it to be an imaginary Wisconsin branch line in the late 1890's interchanging with the C&NW and CM&StP but a name truly eludes me.  Maybe the best bet is to letter it for the CM&StP and then I won't have to spend any more time not building a railroad because I cannot think of a name!

No comments:

Post a Comment